Pages

Saturday 26 June 2010

Coventry Phoenix Lions Club

Some time ago I had a yellow card through my door inviting my wife and I to a wine and nibbles evening and to take a look at Lions International. It was a very enjoyable evening and I learnt a great deal about the Lions. For instance, and the most important aspect of Lionism is that they are a service organisation who offer service to our local community, to our nation and internationally. Most people who know a little about Lions think we are a fund raising organisation and whilst we need funds to continue our work, that is not our prime focus.

However, I have leaped forward in time. As I said, it was an enjoyable evening so I continued to attend meetings. Originally there was probably about 10 to 15 people attended the first meeting. As time progressed our numbers dwindled until 7 remained. We took on the mantle of the existing (really in name only) Coventry Lions Club and the 7 of us took the momentous step of joining and reinstating the club. To make it our own, we have renamed the club the Coventry Phoenix Lions Club.

If any of my readers are in the Coventry (UK) area and would like to know more, we meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at the Standard Triumph Club, Herald Avenue, Coventry. You will be very welcome to join us. Very soon we will also have our own website. In the meantime check out www.lionsmd105.org for more information about Lionism in the UK and Ireland.

No comments: