Pages

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Remove bitumen from wood floor

Recently I have received a number of enquiries about removing bitumen from wood flooring.

This is a job I had to when we took up the carpet in my hall at home. We were going to change the carpet but when I saw the floor I realised I could save myself some money.What we had was a hardwood parquet floor. As the carpet had been down for a number of years, the floor was quite dusty and needed a thorough clean.

To clean the floor we first had to sweep several times in order to pick up over 10 years worth of dust. This revealed that bitumen had been used as an adhesive and that, in places, it had seeped up between the tiles. At the time I was using Heritage Woodcare to clean the floor and discovered that by using Scotchbrite (a none scratch scouring pad) soaked in Heritage, I was able to remove this bitumen whilst cleaning the rest of the floor. Incidentally, the floor came up a real treat, with a slight sheen. In fact it looked so good that I was able to eventually persuade my wife to agree to me taking up the carpet in the lounge and reveal the parquet floor right through the downstairs.

Heritage woodcare is available online, visit www.heritagepolish.com/shop/heritage-woodcare/cat_2.html

No comments: