Pages

Saturday 7 January 2012

How can I remove the black marks caused by bitumen on my wood floor

I regularly get queries asking for help to remove bitumen (tar) from wood flooring so I thought I would start the New Year off by answering this query.

Bitumen is used as an adhesive to stick wood flooring, particularly parquet flooring.Over time the bitumen seeps up between the joints leaving black marks on the floor.Indeed I had this very problem on my own floors.

My wife and I decided to replace the carpet from the hall and stairs To make the job easier and cheaper I took up the existing carpet myself only to find a parquet floor underneath. I could also see the floor continued into the lounge. After much persuasion my wife agreed to not replacing the carpet on the understanding that I cleaned the floor and did all the maintenance!

The floor that was revealed was very dirty and appeared to have a lot of black marks, (which I subsequently found to be bitumen) between the wood tiles. After several attempts at sweeping the floor I managed to pick up all the dust. I then got down on my hands and knees (which I could in those days!) and used Scotchbrite (a non scratch scourer) soaked in Heritage Woodcare and "scrubbed" the whole floor. I finished up with a floor that looked really clean and had a slight sheen, I was also pleased to note that all the bitumen that had seeped up between the joints had been removed

Now every time I sweep the floor it also restores the sheen and wiping over with my Heritage Woodcare once per month is all that is required to keep my floor looking really good

Heritage woodcare can be bought online, visit http://www.heritagewoodcare.co.uk/products-page

No comments: