Pages

Thursday 22 April 2010

Removing bitumen from wood flooring

I have received numerous requests for information about removing bitumen from wood flooring so I thought it would be useful to go over it again.

Bitumen is used as an adhesive to stick wood flooring, particularly parquet and similar types of wood flooring. Over time the bitumen seeps up between the joints. This is exactly what happened to my own floors.My house was built with underfloor heating downstairs so the flooring on the ground floor is concrete covered with parquet

My wife and I decided to replace the carpet in the hall and stairs. I took up the existing carpet to make the job easier only to find a parquet floor in the hall. I could also see the floor continued into the lounge. After much persuasion my wife agreed to not replacing the carpet on the understanding that I did the maintenance.

After several attempts at sweeping the floor I managed to pick up all the dust. I then got down on my hands and knees (I could in those days!) and used Scotchbrite (a non scratch scourer) soaked in Heritage Woodcare. This gave the floor a real clean leaving it with a slight sheen and additionally also removed all the bitumen that had seeped up between the joints. Now all I have to do is clean the floor once per month and every time I sweep the floor it polishes it.

Heritage Woodcare is available online, visit www.heritagepolish.com/shop/heritage-woodcare/cat_2.html

No comments: