Pages

Wednesday 4 August 2010

How do I remove bitumen from parquet floors?

I get more enquiries about removing bitumen than anything else. I had this problem myself. I had taken up my hall carpet intending to replace it only to find a wonderful parquet floor.

As the carpet had been down for many years, the floor was very dirty. I could also see many black marks between the tiles and knowing that bitumen was used as a glue, I realised that was what had made the marks.

My first job was to sweep the floor. This was also my second and third jobs as well, trying to get up all the dust. This done. I got down on my hands and knees (which I could in those days and with my physio's help, I hope to be able to do so again) and using Scotchbrite (a plastic non-scratch scourer) soaked in Heritage Woodcare, I scrubbed the floor. This brought up the floor beautifully and I was pleased to note all the black marks (and spots of paint near the skirting boards) had gone

All I do now (the agreement with my wife is that I do all the maintenance) is spill a bit of Heritage Woodcare on the floor, having thoroughly shaken the bottle first, and using a squeegee mop, kept specially for my floor, I move it round in the polish until it has soaked it all up and mop the floor. I then need to leave the floor for 15 minutes to dry and it is then safe to walk on. this needs doing about once per month.

You can buy Heritage Woodcare online, visit www.heritagewoodcare.co.uk/buy-woodcare

No comments: